This site hosts a Crossfire Metaserver which allows people to locate, find out more about and connect to existing game servers and automatically updates every 5 minutes.
Game clients will query the Metaservers, as they are configured for primary, secondary and tertiary reporting. Meaning, you don't use one Metaserver verses another based on your geographic location.
The Metaserver displays the following information:
- Server Hostname and Port to connect to
- Comments about the server such as geographic location, server summary, etc.
- What version or release the server is using in regards to Archetypes, Maps, and Server Code base
- Flags such as permadeath server or Player Killing (PK) allowed
- Current number of players logged in on the server
- Traffic volume, in and out (bytes) of the server
- Uptime (in minutes) since the last reset or crash event
- What Version the server is running (includes the SVN revision number)
- CS/SC version - protocol version that the server is using
- Last Update of when the server reported back to the Metaserver
Introduction to Crossfire:
Crossfire is an open source, cooperative multiplayer graphical RPG and adventure game. Since its initial release, Crossfire has grown to encompass over 150 monsters, about 3000 maps to explore, an elaborate magic system, 13 races, 15 character classes, a system of skills, and many artifacts and treasures. Crossfire is based in a medieval fantasy world and is similar to other games of this genre.